Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Teacher Who Changed My Life


While I was in school, I had a poor academic status. My teachers hated me because I was the most stubborn child of my batch. But only one thing that sounded great about me was my accent, and the way I spoke to the people would magically impressed them. But still that did not value much for my grades in exam. My friends used to tease me because I used to read aloud in an American accent in the class. I was always humiliated, but again always was fascinated by my English teachers. My English teacher in the junior classes always made me take part in school’s debate, speech or poem competitions. I always avoided them, because I never won any of those, but still she continued to do so. 

I felt irritated because of her pressurizing me. I then was in my senior years of school when we had a Male English teacher. He hated so much for I was never attentive in his class; I was mischievous, and fought with the boys. But he always wondered about how I always scored best of the marks in his subject. It was time for our pre-send-up exam when he decided to give a spoken English test. When the principal asked him about the result one sudden day, in front of the whole class humiliating me, personally stating that I obviously failed, my English teacher smiled and said that I was the one who scored the highest.

Later when I was in my high school, in grade 11, I was new in the city and the college, all so big and lots of people. I always kept quiet and only spoke when I was asked to. After one year of my silence, when I was in grade 12 my college got split and more than half of our teachers were new. And once again in my life came a new English teacher, and again who hated me because I was stubborn and mischievous. He never looked at me while he was giving lectures, because of which I vowed to myself to persuade him to appreciate me some day.

Now it was time for our juniors to join the college, and I was asked to give an introductory speech on the behalf of our college in the orientation program. I was honored as well as very happy because I got a chance to prove of my capabilities to my English teacher. I prepared a lot for my speech and personally requested him to stay in the program that day. Finally the day came and so did my turn for the speech. I went to the stage and before beginning, I searched for my English teacher, when I found him sitting at the back with no interest in my speech, I felt full confident. I never hated my teacher, nor I had an ego against him, it was just that I had to impress him because he was so good and reflected my ideology, as I always dreamt of a perfect teacher. I was going very well at the beginning and continued well but suddenly I felt nervous and concluded very badly. My that attitude to impress my teacher to show him that I was smart not ‘over’ added in front had all faded , and bowing my head I was returning back stage, where I found him waiting for me. When I saw him, I was so scared and then he smiled and said, “from today I'd like to call you 'TEJASWI’”, which in pure Nepali sense means a ray of light so powerful. I was shocked to hear that.

After that day he always encouraged me to do things under my capability and because of which I won many many debate and speech competitions and the most valuable thing in my life I won the Inter College Public Speaking Contest. And still today the juniors in my high school some of whom I don’t even recognize, remember me as Voice Of Caspian,{Caspian is the name of my High school} and my friends and teachers recall me as “TEJASWI”.

No comments:

Post a Comment